Wednesday 23 May 2018

Interesting German expression

In German there is this expression “dürfen”, which can be literally translated as “is allowed to”. I find it interesting cos when I ask my husband if i can do something / if it is a good idea to do something...

In English, I only say “Can I...?”

But in German, when I said “Kann ich...?”, my husband always said I should say “darf ich...?” (Am i allowed to...?)

I know in German können (can) only refers to somebody’s ability to do something, whereas dürfen is about asking for permission.

But still...

Whenever I have to say “darf ich...?” (Am I allowed to...?”),  I really feel that the other person I am talking to has an authority to decide on something related to me.

My feeling might be wrong but right now with my B1 German Level it really feels this way.

No comments: