Wednesday 7 June 2017

what a writing topic...

Next Mon I'll need to take the IELTS English exam, just to satisfy the language requirements of a study programme I've applied for.

The requirement is just 7.5 out of 9. I guess I should be fine but still want to get better prepared, especially writing.

60 mins to write a short data analysis and a short argumentative essay.

So I opened a practice book and turned to Test 1.

The topic of the argumentative essay makes me totally speechless.

Not funny to somebody who was just punished last night :(


If you just replace "children" with "wives" or "girls"; "parents and teachers" with "husband"...

4 comments:

Peanut said...

I remember being quite fascinated when I started studying on parenting styles for one of my college modules - life span development. You should find your answer if you've read up on Kholberg's moral development. I'm awful at self-directed learning as it lacks the stimulus a classroom environment would bring (and generally brings about procrastination), so I try to make it fun by looking up educational videos on that topic.

jenny said...

Thanks Peanut. I'm sure some psychology theories that we can identify with can be fascinating. That writing tasks only needs 250 words written in 40 minutes so my problem is actually having too much to write in such a short time.

Did you major psychology? Just curious.

Peanut said...

The word limit is a killer, but I'm sure a justifiable factor on the setter's part. I was told by my Academic Writting professor that a marker would be more impressed by a student who conveys the same message in a succinct manner, as compared to someone who would tell grandmother stories - unnecessary and unskilled.

Still in the midst of pursuing my Bachelor's in Counseling :)

jenny said...

You are an expert :) And thanks for your tips.