Sunday 11 June 2017

british school 18 years ago = german school 50 years ago???

YouTube has suggested a related video to me: School 50 years ago

I expected something totally different from my concept of school, but I am surprised. It has quite a lot in common with my boarding school experience in England almost 15 years ago!


We had uniform in probably the same materials (just a different design, and with a tie). We had to tie our hair (no need to braid). We had to wear knee high socks in winter. We were not allowed to wear accessories or make-up. We were not allowed to smoke... so many "have to" and "not allowed"...

Then there was this headmistress' monthly room inspection in my first year in secondary school... And students being punished to do some chores in school (I was sent to the laundry department with my friend to help the staff fold the ironed school uniform for 1 hour after school every day for one week)...

It just brings me back to my old times. I didn't realize school was that tough.

Of course school lunch was different, and teachers were more encouraging than in these clips. But still, the male teacher was a bit like the discipline mistress in my school when we did something bad.

Well, I only understand about 10% of the German in the clip, but it's quite easy to follow what they were doing, probably because English school education (at least my school) was quite similar to that.

um... actually the teens seemed to be more active and spontaneous when they were filmed in a normal situation. They looked quite anxious in that school, but I guess the producer wanted to make the contrast more dramatic and that's why they called it "die Harte Schule"?

I think the programme is quite interesting even if you don't quite understand German like me. If you do, then maybe you'll like it a lot.

3 comments:

Peanut said...

Becareful with Youtube suggestions... one video will lead to another and before you know it a lot of precious time is wasted! :P

Peanut said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jenny said...

haha, that's what my husband often says to me. He hates it when I waste time.